takes two to tango

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Blue skies

Have you ever woken up from an awful dream and realized it's just reality?

I've been working on my thesis.

Late for the cut-off time of the first topic presentation earlier last year, I thought I was left with nothing to do but sign up for the extras for the first batch (because I didn't want to sign up for the second batch which would have their presentation almost a month after), wait, and listen to the other presentations. Then grueling hour after grueling hour, they--the professors from the department--allowed a few of us to present. It went well and I managed to pass a suitable and workable topic that was approved by the whole faculty.

A couple of weeks went by and there wasn't any word from my thesis adviser, the teacher whom I believed gave me my lowest grade since I began. When he called his students to finally meet him for an orientation, I presented my thesis topic yet again. Short of trashing everything, he fixed my topic and gave me something easier to accomplish given our time frame.

Long story sh
orter (I'm not at the end yet, that's why), I've been passing chapter after chapter till he finally asked for all of the first three chapters. We, and 3 other classmates, met before the holidays and we were expected to work during the holidays and pass the second draft last January 3. Rushing through, I managed to pass it and for 24 days now, I have been waiting for any response for him at all. Last I heard, he was in Cagayan doing some sort of seminar and should be back by Monday. Sigh... Just have to wait and see.

3 and a half weeks have given me a lot to think about. The wait gave me time to think about how I'm supposed to graduate; how I'm supposed to leave my family, friends, everything I'm so used to; how I'm supposed to cope and find a job in another country...

I often find myself lacking sleep and waking up with a mixture of dread, boredom, panic, and lethargy.

To cope with my unoccupied time, I enrolled in Spanish class at Languages Internationale
Classes
began this afternoon and I took the blue skies as a sign of the beginning of better things.



Blue Skies written by Irving Berlin in 1926.

I was blue, just as blue as I could be

Ev'ry day was a cloudy day for me

Then good luck came a-knocking at my door

Skies were gray but they're not gray anymore


Blue skies smiling at me

Nothing but blue skies do I see

Bluebirds singing a song

Nothing but bluebirds all day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright

Never saw things going so right

Noticing the days hurrying by

When you're in love, my how they fly


Blue days, all of them gone

Nothing but blue skies from now on

I should care if the wind blows east or west

I should fret if the worst looks like the best


I should mind if they say it can't be true
I should smile, that's exactly what I do
posted by glady at 1/26/2008 01:15:00 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home